4/12/13 Update: Please see this post about the taco seasoning.
We love tacos at our house! I don’t love the ingredients we used to use for our tacos because they just were not very healthy with all of the chemicals in the taco seasoning, meat and toppings. As I began to read all of the labels, I realized we needed to change our ingredients. So, over the past couple years, we have made several changes to our tacos and I think we have come up with a healthy and vey delicious spicy taco recipe. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Spicy Taco Recipe
– 2 pounds Laura’s Lean Ground Beef (no hormones or antibiotics)
– 2 cans Little Bear Bearitos Organic Traditional Refried Beans Vegetarian
– 1 packet Simply Organic Spicy Taco Seasoning
– 1 jar Kroger Simple Truth Organic medium salsa
– 1 jar jalapenos
– 1 bag Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds (dairy-free cheese. I do not like it but my kids do and it is much healthier than regular cheese).
– Organic Romaine
– Food for Life Brown Rice Tortillas
– Kroger Simple Truth Organic Corn Tortilla Chips
– Brown the ground beef and drain off any fat
– Add one packet of taco seasoning with 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water and stir into beef
– Heat two cans of refried beans in a pan
– Cut up jalapenos and romaine and put into bowls
– Put cheese into a bowl
– Put salsa into a bowl
– Heat one rice tortilla in a skillet until warm
– Fill torilla with a layer of: beans, meat, romaine, salsa and jalapenos (and cheese if desired)
– Pour totilla chips in bowl and enjoy with the tacos
Makes enough for two meals for four people.
It’s all about the journey…
You may also like: