Since I am no longer buying packaged taco seasoning, I made my own for the first time the other day. It tasted very good, the kids loved it and I felt great knowing that there weren’t any harmful ingredients in it. This recipe is extremely simple. You can make a lot and just store it in a BPA-free (bisphenol) container.
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, we like a little kick!)
- Optional: oregano, paprika, chipotle powder (I did not use any of these so don’t have a measuring for them).
Mix all ingredients together and stir. I used 3 teaspoons for the lentil tacos that I made (I used 1 cup lentils to 2 cups water which made about 2 – 3 cups lentils, I did not measure). Use 2 teaspoons of mix for 1 pound of meat.
It’s all about the journey…