Have you tried meatless tacos? I hadn’t until two days ago. And boy was I missing out! They are truly delicious and even my kids liked them! My daughter even told me she liked these better than tacos with meat!
We have always used lean ground beef and in the past year, lean ground beef free of hormones and antibiotics. I am still on the fence and need to learn more about what meat does to our digestive system and if it is indeed healthy for us.
I have been reading four different nutrition/food books lately, The China Study, Wheat Belly, In Defense of Food and Food Rules along with the cookbook Forks over Knives. The information I am gleaning from some of these books indicates that meat wreaks all kinds of havoc on our bodies. So, we are moving toward a less meat filled diet and more plant based diet. As I learn more about this topic, I will keep you informed.
In the meantime, please enjoy this meatless taco recipe!
- Organic green or red lentils
- Homemade taco seasoning
- Organic refried beans
- Wheat & gluten free brown rice tortillas, we use the Food for Life tortillas and buy them at the local health food store
- Organic salsa or homemade (homemade would be better but I am not that advanced, yet!)
- Daiya cheese (I do not care for this kind of cheese but my kids love it and it is dairy free)
- Organic romaine
- Jalapenos (we still buy the jarred jalapenos, which I am not in favor of. I am looking for a better, healthier option and will let you know when I find one)
- Optional: chopped up onions (yum)
- Prepare lentils according to package. I cooked 1 cup lentils to 2 cups water for my recipe. It made between 2 and 3 cups of lentils.
- Stir in 3 teaspoons of homemade taco seasoning
- Heat 1 can of refried beans on stove top.
- Pour salsa into a bowl
- Pour cheese into a bowl
- Chop jalapenos and put into a bowl
- Rip organic romaine into small pieces (rip vs. cut so it won’t turn brown) and put into a bowl
- Heat tortillas in big skillet on stove top
- Layer: refried beans, lentils (they should stick to the beans), cheese (if using), romaine, salsa, jalapenos, onions
- Tip: when you fold the tortilla once all ingredients are in it, put a little bit of refried beans on the outside of the tortilla before folding it down. The beans will keep the taco folded.
It’s all about the journey…