The Top 10 Cleansing Foods by Jordan Rubin, Founder and CEO of Garden of Life, are:
1. Avocados – high in fiber, potassium, vitamin E and healthy monounsaturated fats.
2. Raw coconut cream – loaded with medium-chain fatty acids that help promote a positive intestinal environment and compounds that help remove toxins from the body.
3. Flaxseeds and chia seeds – wonderful sources of fiber, essential fatty acids and powerful phytochemicals which lubricate the bowel and promote healthy cellular structure.
4. Raw cultured veggies – such as sauerkraut have billions of live probiotics and active sulfur compounds which provide detoxification to the liver and GI tract.
5. Fresh vegetable juice – made from carrots, celery, parsley, cilantro, cucumber, beets and dozens of other veggies is a key component of any raw cleansing regimen, providing vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants the body needs to remove toxins.
6. Blueberries – low in sugar and high in fiber. Their powerful antioxidants make blueberries a true “superfood.”
7. Cucumbers – high in fiber and minerals and have excellent hydrating ability.
8. Tomatoes – a gentle form of fiber and high in vitamin C and the antioxidant lycopene.
9. Raw milk kefir and yogurt – have billions of friendly microbes and support healthy digestion.
10. Coconut kefir – loaded with probiotics, enzymes, organic acids and electrolytes such as potassium, which promote cellular cleansing and healthy elimination.
I recommend all organic fruits and vegetables. If you can not find or afford organic, clean the fruits and veggies very well before eating them to get all of the pesticides off of them. I buy my flax and chia seeds on Vitacost.