This is one of our all-time favorite salads and is a huge hit when we take it to a party! We always come home with an empty bowl. My friend, Sherry, is the one who gave me this recipe about 16 years ago so at our house, it is known as the “Sherry salad.” I have passed this recipe on to so many people!
The original recipe calls for sugar in the dressing. I am not a fan of sugar at all since it has been proven to be very addictive and can be a big cause of disease in our bodies. I will just try about half the amount of sugar (1/4) and add more raw honey if needed. The other sugar substitutes that you could try are stevia, maple syrup, Xylitol (we tried this with Xylitol one time and I don’t think we had the correct amount because it did not turn out as well. But, I will definitely keep trying so we can replace the sugar).
- 1 Bag Classic Romaine (you can also buy a bag of organic romaine or just get a bunch of organic romaine and pull it apart (don’t cut romaine or any other leafy green as it turns it brown more quickly)
- 1 Can Organic Mandarin Oranges
- 1 Can La Choy Rice Noodles
- 2 Scallions Chopped
- 1 Red Pepper Chopped
- 1 Bag of Slivered Almonds
- 1/4 Cup Sugar (try to substitute to a less-processed kind of sugar)
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt, Pepper and Poppy Seed to Taste
Add all of the salad ingredients to a bowl except the mandarin oranges and toss. Add all of the dressing ingredients to a small BPA free container with a lid. Shake well. Right before you eat the salad, add the mandarin oranges, shake the salad dressing again and pour onto the salad. Shake the salad well to disperse the dressing.
It’s all about the journey…